Last week I travelled to Jamaica to stay with a wedding planner friend who just opened up a new wedding venue! Exciting right? Jennifer Borgh is a wedding planner, travel agent and now owner and operator of a three-bedroom guest villa & wedding venue, Borghinvilla. I had such an amazing time in Jamaica. Not only do I love the country, the weather was amazing and the sound of the waves crashing up on the cliffs makes my heart skip a beat. If you’re thinking about having a destination wedding but aren’t sure what direction to go in, consider these tips:
- All-inclusive resorts have a standard “cookie-cutter” package for all weddings. It’s not to say you can’t do something unique, but it’s less likely to be encouraged.
- All-inclusive resorts also almost always charge a ($200!) fee per offsite vendor you want to bring on site for the day.
- Resorts are fun! There’s always a lot to do and it will keep your guests entertained.
- If you’re looking for a laid-back, just-want-to-get-married kind of wedding, a resort might be perfect for you.
- If you’re looking to think a little outside the box, consider a guest house or villa. These are usually independently run and allow a lot more flexibility and one-on-one planning time with the coordinator.
- There are no additional fees (at least not at Borghinvilla) for your vendors, bring who you want for as long as you want.
- You’ll get to experience a lot more of the culture in your desired wedding country by staying outside of a resort. Resorts are pretty Americanized, so you miss out on a lot of the “real” culture.
- By staying in a guest house and renting a car to get around, you can explore the country and be a little more adventurous.
In summary, if you’re looking for a custom wedding experience with culture and adventure a villa or guest house might be ideal for you. You can choose to stay at an all-inclusive resort and get married off site for a mix of both worlds.
If you’re thinking about Jamaica, definitely check out Borghinvilla. It’s situated on the cliffs which makes for an amazing ceremony and private dinner receptions.
Here are some photos from my recent visit!
Many of the products in my blog posts are either sponsored products or affiliate links. While I do receive a commission off of any sales, the price will always be the same for you.